View Single Post
Old 11 Jun 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3909312)   #347
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
As this seems like the most appropriate place to ask, how is the specification of a non-homologated car handled for the purpose of HTP's? As an example (unless I am otherwise mistaken) the Ginetta G4 R, for which I can only find homologation papers for the earlier G4. As I understand it from reading previous posts, it is acceptable to fit any engine used in that type of car in a period International event, thus allowing the use of the Lotus Twin-Cam. Likewise, I imagine that the bodywork is covered by period photographs. What I do not understand is how finer details such as minimum weight, final drive, gear ratios, brake system and the like are determined in this case. Would anyone be willing to indulge my curiosity?

That's where historic motor sport gets interesting. The Non-Homologated cars are handled through an intricate work of getting the period documentation such as pictures, programs, scrutineering sheets, bills of sales, manufacturers documentation and so on altogether to prove the specification you claim to have existed at a given moment in the timeframe you wish to register the car in.

On the Ginetta G4R it was handled in the FIA over a period of two years and with two different and comprehensive dossiers put together by the Applicant, with numerous pictures, documentation and testimonies on the car from USA and UK as well as tracking the period car to seek further clarification.

On our side, a total panel of 6 people were consulted, either for their period knowledge of the manufacturer and model, the rules and their interpretation as well as simply the analysis of the dossiers submitted.

Another aspect which may be of interest in this is that we also carry our own research, the FIA gathers together its own database in order to analyse or asses period practices. We give way ourselves and this through our own documentation. We try, once a period practice is proven to have it become acceptable should the specification be matching and that's the key aspect.

One practice may appear "acceptable" but remember that a specification is a whole and not "cherry picking" the best out of one and another.