Thread: New historics
View Single Post
Old 19 May 2003, 17:01 (Ref:603735)   #25
canadair
Rookie

canadair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is quite interesting, in particular as I just asked this question in another topic, Lotus 49.
It appears to me that there is not much opposition regarding replica projects, although I think we have to separate the technical from the historic. By this I mean, that those who are more inclined towards the technical end, the actual mechanics of the car, seem to be saying, "bring them on, as the desire to see and hear the car, replica or not is the key, on the other side, some feel that the car is only the car because of what was done with it, and perhaps the memories should be left as such.
Well, I guess I can see both points, but being inclined towrds the technical, I firmly believe that recreating something is in itself a tribute to the original.
I am 40 years old, I never saw the original 49`s race, I was 6, and 1/2 a world away, so replica`s to me represent the only possible way to see this today, yes there are originals, but they do not exactly make every weekend event do they?
Bottom line, the cars of the late 60`s are probably the last of the F1 cars that can realistically be replicated, no one is going to attempt a 2003 Ferrari or Williams are they, but the Brabhams, Lotus, and such of that era are like the racers of the 30`s, Gee Bees, Mystery ship, etc, they are a realistic project given enough information, and determination, so why not.