View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2016, 11:04 (Ref:3601752)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Lemmy- now there's a man who led the life of a true rock legend! RIP.

I'd forgotten that he was in Hawkwind originally, and only got to sing lead on Silver Machine as the other group members couldn't get to the high notes!

Hawkwind - now there's a name that many recognise but I can't recall any of their songs from memory.

Went to see them once in a pub somewhere near Epping. '69 or '70 I would guess. I recall trying to negotiate the use of the family car for the evening. I don't recall whether I succeeded although I have no idea how I would have got there if not.

The wonders of the Internet - someone has created a web site with a record of gigs played. The Wakes Arms in November '70 - would fit my recollection, although I don't recall it being November.

Oddly I had a vague recollection of geographic location and looked up the possibilities on Google maps before searching for a list of gigs. Picked a possible spot, zoomed in using street view and found myself looking at the Wake Arms roundabout. The pub seems to have become an eaterie of some sort.

So many changes and it's only 45 years ago! No time at all .... I remember it like, well, er, like it was 45 years ago. Hardly at all! Heck, it was a dark November night (maybe). I could have been anywhere ....