View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3601823)   #47
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Marco Pantani! The Pirate! Although as most of us remember him Another Drugged Up Cheat.

I think the Tours of the 80s and 90s should be allowed to rest in peace. Cycling was not a happy place. Definitely not a Lighter Side, Bauble.
I do not recall Marco was ever proved to be taking drugs, and in 1998, when he won, the Tour was hounded by the police and testing authorities with many teams and individuals kicked out. As the leader, and stage winners were tested everyday the chances of him being caught were extremely high, but he always proved clean. I always thought that he was destroyed by criminal elements who wagered on cycling results, and died a drug addict, but not a drug cheat, he was just a sublime mountain climber, and an extremely intelligent rider. He also always honoured his opponents, and never tried to detract from their efforts unlike some American .......!

Pantani was no Lance Armstrong who was scum.

Now let us not fall out over one of my heroes.