View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2020, 20:08 (Ref:3951405)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
IIRC Thundersaloons started about 1984/5-ish.

I think there was more than one version of ASCAR- the 2001 onward was the NASCAR-style series (predominantly Rockingham-based IIRC) while Chunterer mentioned an older version in one of the early posts of the thread-which went back to the early 80's and featured US V8s like Mustangs and Camaros against Brit heavy metal, predominantly Aston Martins.

It's a long time ago now, but I followed Thundersaloons pretty closely at one time and don't remember any Astons, and don't see in those pics some of the cars I'd expect to see in an early Thundersaloon race, like Rod Birley's Sierra-GA or Vince Woodman's Capri.

Apologies for dragging the thread off-topic for a moment, but a couple of the Astons definitely ring a bell with me- the yellow #54 car looks like David Ellis, and is the silver #21 car alongside him in a couple of pics the Hyde Vale 'Silver Dream Racer' driven by Ray Taft or Mike Wilds- (Did that go to be one of the Marsh Plant Astons raced by Gerry Marshall in the 90's?). I don't know whether that helps confirm that it was definitely ASCAR though?