View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3348285)   #31
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
It's like like this discussion never stopped, just accidentally dropped a digit in the date somewhere! As it happens, there have also been some surprising developments in this project to report.

The original reason for trying to sell the car was that, having retired from racing, I wanted the money convert my racing D-type replica into a road car. But then... one sunny day... a man knocked on the door and asked how much I wanted for the D-type. I said a big number, he agreed and turned up the next day with a trailer and two large envelopes of folding stuff. After several days in shock my thoughts turned to the Mk2 and my newly lubricated bank balance. A change in plan emerged. So now the Mk2 is a keeper... and even though I won't get my money back, I'm going to restore it properly just for the fun of it.

Current state of play is that I've got it totally stripped to a bare shell. Initial impressions are that it has had a heavy impact to the front left corner which has been poorly repaired, but nothing with can't be put right, and the rest of it is basically sound. Next step is to to take if for acid stripping to see what's actual steel and what's not!