View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3849965)   #13
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Ta If people are laying underneath their car I tend to assume they've got better things to do than talk to me (although thinking about it I should probably have been making the tea ). Was it a recurrence of the same problem in the final?
Sort of....
In heat 2 a bolt had come out of the steering rack clamp and another one had worked loose, resulting in the rack breaking free of it's brackets and floating free.
The steering got worse as the race wore on and as I crossed the finish line it jammed solid and i went straight on over the big kerb at the chicaine ripping a rear axle mounting and causing an oil leak.
I got the rack sorted and patched up the axle just in time for the final, but it was only a patch job and the axle was moving around far too much.
I decided to retire on third lap rather than roll it into a ball had I thrown it off, which was becoming more and more likely