View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3294969)   #2445
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
If my understanding is correct, Porsche have opted for a lithium-ion battery system as a way to store the energy. The article refers to technology developed by A123 Systems. Interesting.
This really explains why they have chosen the I4. I find hybrid solutions silly to begin with. Its really all petrol/diesel or all electric that makes sense. And for sustainability its all electric. Why would you want the weight of a petrol engine AND the weight of the batteries + e motors on front and rear axle?? The way I see it the minimum weight in the regulations merely allow hybrid solutions to exist. Hybrids are going to be phased out in the real world too in favor of all electric cars. Its entirely practical to just swap battery packs(if a system is developed for it) in a race and recharge the other during a stint. With all this fast charging and 97% efficiencies from the motor.

But if they want to use batteries then they'll need to keep the weight down in all other areas of the car including the engine. So no V8. If they are using Zytek Engineerings electric motors then there will be additional weight savings there. Of course those motors are very expensive. But they are featherlite in every sense of the word.