View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3592461)   #204
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Not to try to defend Ebenezer Ecclestone, but wasn't he actually the one wanting big noisy engines back? You know to make the VIP persons and royal princes feel better whenever it's time to perform smalltalk while accepting their cash bags for himself and CVC.

Ecclestone was against the switch to V6 turbo hybrids, but were the previous engines better? Yes, they were bigger and definitely noisier, but with the development freeze since 2007/8, there was absolutely no excitement in the engine department. In fact, I would say there was basically no difference between the big 3 manufacturers since the '09 season (Renault had reliability issues in '09, though not as severe as this year).

In my opinion, that is definitely the wrong direction for F1. It becomes like a spec series, where everything is equal, as opposed to different, innovative and unique solutions, which I think is the in the true spirit of F1. It is more expensive, but that is what F1 is. Not to say that the current engine formula is perfect - why should all engines be V6 turbo? Why can't you have a 4-inline turbo, or even a V10 (hypothetically) if you want, as long as you are within the fuel consumption and flow limits?