Thread: Driver 2018 F1 silly season.
View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3740546)   #105
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
While I suspect that may have been the initial plan, I don't see Button returning. I miss Button in F1, part of me hopes I am wrong, but based upon some of his comments to the press at Monaco, I think he has clearly moved on from F1. Also given the doubt to the ability for Honda to resolve things for the 2018 season, McLaren is better off saving their money and not looking for top drivers IMHO. At least for 2018.

My guess is that in general Honda will make some improvements, but not to the point that McLaren wants. And that McLaren will be stuck with Honda for 2018. If Honda and McLaren part ways before 2018, it will be the result of substantial backroom deal making including saving face for many who are involved (reminiscent of the musical chairs triggered by Rosberg leaving Mercedes) . And I suspect Alonso will leave F1 at the end of this season unless a drive opens up at Mercedes, Ferrari or maybe Red Bull. Or... He could stay with McLaren, but only if Honda somehow amazingly recovers during this season (doubtful).

Richard
JB may be tempted back into the McLaren if the Honda lump is to be replaced by the Mercedes. Things worked out quite well for him the last time that happened...