View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2000, 13:13 (Ref:48297)   #18
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think everybody's missed the point about Sauber's interest in Raikkonen. What's he got to learn? How to drive the thing? Well he's already shown that he can handle it quite nicely thankyou very much, it's easy according to him.
Racecraft? What racecraft would that be then? Sprint, pitstop (at a time decreed by the team), sprint, pitstop, sprint. That'll be difficult then.
If the FIA with-hold a superlicence it wil be to give the impression that he is not up to racing F1, rather than because he isn't up to racing in F1.
The fact is with the legal driver aids on the car already they are too easy to drive, from the point of view of testing a driver, which is why inexperienced drivers are coming through and showing extremely well. Added to that, the format of the races make a mockery of a driver learning their trade in the lower formulae. The only thing that Raikkonen would possibly have to work on would be his fitness.
It's time for the FIA wake up and understand that the rot is setting in. I've said it before, but I'll keep saying it - this seriously brings into question the position of F1 as the pinacle of motorsport.