View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2001, 20:02 (Ref:115814)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have owned a 1965 Sprite, first US year model with roll up windows, 1098cc motor, and close ration 4 speed. There's really not a difference worth noticing between a Sprite and a Midget of the same year. As the Spites were gone before the 1500cc Triumph engined and rubber bumpered Midgets and there were no Bug-Eyed (or Frog-Eyed) Midgets, its kind of hard to compare. I did notice that between 1965 models, the Sprite had chrome plated metal fittings while the Midget had black plastic parts. The car was fun, but the climate in NE texas was far too warm for such a small radiator while idling at a stop light. The engine was also begging for an overdrive gear while trying to make highway speeds (55-65 mph) pulling around 3800 rpm. Other than that and the fact that ball-joints had not been made available and the hinge pins must be regularly greased (read weekly) it was a fairly good and reliable car. I enjoyed mine the time I had it and enjoyed fixing the rusted floorboards and damaged exhaust etc.