View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:27 (Ref:637968)   #14
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shoot with a 300 f/2.8 with a 1.4 converter at times. I use this lens of a monopod and generally use it for head on shooting or 3/4 pans. I dont generally use it for a full side pan since its just too big and I am generally close enough with credentials that my 80-200 is close enough.

Panning takes a lot of practice. Go out and do it as often as you can and even shoot cars going up and down your street. If you shoot film and dont want to waste it on the neighbors car, just shoot dry and pay attention to what you are doing. If the car is in your frame before you push the shutter and the mirror flips and its there after the mirror returns, its likely it was there during the shot and should come out fine.

When I shoot a weekend I might shoot 1500 shots, if I get 200-300 excellent shots out of that I did well. I will usually then have an additional 400-500 that are good (in focus and sharp) but not great shots due to composition or something. The rest might be nothing more than throw aways.