View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3962191)   #65
Dodgedoug
Rookie

Dodgedoug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbier View Post
Period ownership and race history now largely pieced together for this early MkIV:

April/June 1959 : Purchased by Peter G Mullard and road registered in the Oxford area with number '180 JFC'

July '69 - Sept '60 : Entered by Mullard in various UK race meetings, including the Members' Meeting at Goodwood in May 1960

May '61 : Advertised for sale in Motorsport magazine, eventually acquired by Bob King (of Royale Racing Cars fame) as a trade-in against a road car

July '61 : Class win and fastest time of the day at Brands Hatch in Sevenoaks & District Sprint meeting

Aug - Oct '61 : Further raced by King at Mallory Park (Nottingham Sports Car Club), Brands Hatch (BRSCC) and Silverstone (BRDC)

Late '61 : Advertised for sale in Autosport and purchased by William T. "Bunny" Ribbs in California

April '62 - June '62 : Raced by Bunny Ribbs at Stockton, Cotati and Laguna Seca before he moved up to a MkVI for 1963. Car was crashed at last race meeting at Laguna Seca.

Late '62 : Sold to Jerry Faught and Dave Ferguson. Repairs appear to have taken some time!

Oct '64 - Mar '69 : Raced by Faught at various meetings in California and by Ferguson in at least one meeting in Canada

Photos exist of the car being raced by each of the first owners but uncertainty over copyright restrictions prevents posting. So, attached is one of the current owner driving it at Donington Park, UK during 2011. It is running the correct 1098cc Coventry Climax FWA engine as used for UK small displacement sports racing in the late 1950s.

Hoping to hear details of more MkIVs that are still racing via this forum.

Rod
I purchased the car from Jerry Faughtaround 1970 and started work to prep for racing with Climax engine but sold the unfinished car a few years later to a person who lived in Fresno California. I couldn’t find all the parts at the time and this person was to contact me but never did. Eventually sold the parts.