Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3615232)   #1458
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But back to F1. Is the racing for the benefit of the teams, or is it to entertain viewers and spectators? If it's the latter, then as a generalisation, then the public are not interested in how quickly the data generated by a sensor on a racing car gets from Outer Mongolia to the lead-lined concrete bunker at Milton Keynes. They want to see how fast the car can go, and whether it can beat the other team mate's car as well as the rest of the field.
that would be a great poll question for one of those fan surveys they love so much...which aspect of F1's technology is most appealing: Engine development, aero efficiency, CFD design, driver fitness & nutrition, data acquisition etc.

i suspect engine tech would still top the list by a great margin though. data acquisition would be low but i think it will grow over time. this is after all the cell phone generation and telecommunications is becoming the language of our times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I do think there could be ways to keep it technical and entertaining without a large army of people. But it would have to be something a bit different than today. It would be interesting to see what it would look like with budget caps that keeps the manpower to a minimum.
just spit balling ideas but in the future i would like to see more control being handed over to the driver while not sacrificing the forward strides F1 makes in technology. rather we should expect more from drivers within the cockpit as time goes on not less.

its been suggested before in the closed cockpits thread, but adding the canopy allows for the opportunity to develop smart windshields, tactical displays, and HUD systems.

instead of a driver asking for data from the pitwall, the raw data would be provided on their HUD and the driver would have to be able to process and use that data on their own while driving. if one tire is over heating then the driver will know about it in real time and have to adjust based on their own ability to correlate the data, they want to know their split times, fuel consumption etc etc.

budget wise its a new area of expense while not necessarily eliminating any track side positions (probably adding to the size of the team actually so bad on that front) and its years if not decades down the road but i think there is something to this idea that makes being a driver both more complex while adding a level of modern interest to the role.

on the surface it seems to satisfy the need for the driver to be the central figure.