Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3757087)   #2872
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And they sound terrific north of 9K, too, imho.

Staying on/off topic.

I looked up the LMP Panoz motors in Mike's corner and I never realized that they were a Zytek based V8s, serviced by Elan. I had always thought Robert Yates had something to do with it...
The 6 liter pushrod V8 were Ford small block based and were built at various times by Roush, Yates, or by Panoz themselves (Elan's engine decision was basically founded by ex-Roush and Yates guys). Gibson made the EFI systems for it.

The 4 liter DOHC engine, though it was initially intended to be badged as a Ford engine (it never actually was), was designed by Gibson (then known as Zytek) and was based on their Formula 3000 engine that they designed with Judd, which was based on the Cosworth DFV.

Strangely, Gibson still retails the engine as the ZB/ZG408, as well as it's reduced capacity (3.4 ZG348) and enlarged (4.5 ZJ458) versions on their site. Even the 4.2 GK428 LMP2 engine probably owes much of it's heritage to the older Zytek V8s