View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2017838)   #24
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
I was reading about the 7 litre pushrod motor developed for the corvette by Katech.......my god, what an engine.......and I nearly fell off my seat when I read they have trimmed it down to 135Kg!.....thats the same as a V10 Judd.......they are using the V8 as a semi stressed chassis member already, with a billet sump that also acts as the main bearing caps, its such a nice package.......if they trim it down to 6 litres, they will have the basis of a very nice LMP1 motor.......it should be capable of 650bhp and the 800Nm that would be the ideal no-compromise LMP1 motor.......the long stroke and low revs would be great for huge torque, fuel economy and reduced friction......this is why the corvette went so well
More then that. The current LS7.r Corvette motor without air restrictors is esstimated, but not tested by the builder, to put out close to 900 bhp. Many hot rod shops have taken the LS2 ( 6.0l) not race shops but also not backyard mechanics have porduced low 600 bhps.