View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2020, 16:56 (Ref:4000966)   #1618
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar can mandate all teams use a single device to ensure airflow into the cockpit because the Aeroscreen itself is a single device. The Halo is also a single device, so why would F1 likely need to define rules similar to that in sporstcar/prototype racing? Why would they have to find some type of specification that defines airflow through the cockpit? You say it could be easily done but it sounds overly complicated.
My thought is that what is specified by F1 for halo is the underlying structure but that they leave room for some aero treatments. So something like a homologated "scoop" that a redirects air in to the cockpit may not work equally, or maybe it would. F1 could go that path, but the history would show that teams would prefer to implement their own solution vs. having one mandated. In short, each team thinks they can accomplish the goals, but do it in a less compromising way than everyone else. But I could be wrong.

I "think" the sports car solution didn't exactly mandate A/C. (Again, I could be wrong). I think they set limits on the temperature the driver will experience. With the solution potentially being A/C, but not required? I think they also increased the min-weight to help (which I know is a trigger for many here and I understand the angst of the ever growing dimensions (weight and size) of the cars.)

Richard