View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3938139)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
They have this clay in central and east Texas that absorbs water like a sponge. I'm not well traveled but the ground can expand and contract like nothing I've ever seen. I've seen 4ft (120ish cm) of compacted soil and gravel dropping from under an existing 4 story office building over 1 year! Those guys and gals over there are used to it and have a pretty good handle on the engineering, but there's not much you can do about roads.

Of course, I'm not sure of this is the cause, but that's what I think is going on.
I think you are right.

If I remember correctly, when the circuit was built, they tried to excavated deeply down into the native soil directly under the tarmac and used compacted fill dirt hauled in from elsewhere to try to prevent this issue, but I suspect it didn't work as well as hoped. Then again, maybe if would have been much worse if they had done nothing.

Richard