Thread: Team Ferrari: in F1
View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3783476)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I have long wondered what Philip Morris gains from this partnership. As long as the Ferrari cars and team feature on TV programmes within the EU, no promotional material can be used, so how does Philip Morris benefit?

And how does Ferrari get away with claiming that Philip Morris are a sponsor, when the EU forbids it? And has been battling with Ferrari over the issue since at least 2007 !
I think the Philip Morris benefit is that they can use 'Ferrari' in their own promotional material elsewhere. In a similar way to the image below.

With regards to sponsorship - I am not aware that there is specifically an EU restriction on a tobacco company providing sponsorship?
There are restrictions on the advertising of products, which resulted in the significant decline of tobacco funding in F1. In many parts of the world though, it was never totally forbidden - so Ferrari opted to no longer run under the banner of Marlboro from 2011 purely for public sensitivity.