View Single Post
Old 14 May 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3903695)   #22
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not into that much detail. Any attempts to apply current points systems onto previous results will always have flaws, and I accept that this exists in my post regarding the level of dominance.

My point was more that the current Mercedes dominance is not that exceptional, when you compare even just the last 20 years of F1. But it does appear to be more consistent, than the apparent erratic level of advantage that Ferrari had. 6 years of dominance is not unprecedented though, as was being claimed.
Thanks. I agree it would be flawed, was just asking for better understanding.

Mercedes is passing Ferrari's level of dominance now. Ferrari's dominance was considered "worse" because they clearly favored one driver, other than Mercedes. Even though Mercedes uses team orders as ruthlessly as Ferrari back then, Mercedes is looked at a little more leniently for it nowadays because they let the drivers somewhat race.

During the MSC era the regulating body tried to do more about Ferrari's dominance, especially when they moved to the "no change of tires" rule. That is missing right now which might mean that Mercedes will stay dominant longer. But as I said back then (supported by team bias ), I agree with those now that say the other teams need to get their act together instead of crying for curbing Mercedes. It is a sport and a competition. Those who do their job better than others should reap the benefits.