Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3915517)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Wow! You would make a great motivational speaker for the team members. That would be quite the victory speech for back at HQ. I would agree it's not equal. Given the balance of staff at RBR and Honda working on this... Who has put forth more blood sweat and tears? Max or the entire bulk of the rest of the combined organization? I am utterly gobsmacked by your line of thinking.
well im not approaching this as a zero sum game. fair enough if you think i have a bias towards drivers (i do) rather than the people working back at the factory but just because i think the driver deserves more of the credit that doesn't diminish what i think anyone else did. i can celebrate someone without the need to put the other side of the equation down.

after all these years i would hope that has shown through on my posts...maybe not though.

anyways, my early point was more about how unusual it is to see what everyone essentially considers an inferior car and engine win a race, both RB and Honda have said its too early in their partnership to be looking at wins and certainly not wins based on merit, the anti stall kicking in, the issue with tires during the first stint but still ran longer to give him more fresh laps on the hards, issue with the energy recovery unit/clipping, thought he was losing power, sensor issue, when he kept the Racing Point ahead of him in order to hit the DRS activation which he then used after quickly passing the RP to get closer to Bottas(? i think it was)....is the point i am making really that unusual?

so yeah i really do think he ran a brilliant race and showed a level of motivation, desire, effort (or whatever that intangible quality is that great performances exhibit) that we dont see very often. a driver performance worthy of serious recognition and i think by years end this will be considered the drive of the season.

imo Max drove well around the limitations of his ride.

agree to disagree but for me i think Max deserves the lions share of the credit for this win...thats not a slight on Honda but rather just appreciation on my part of a very special athletic performance.