Thread: IMOLA CLASSIC
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3859892)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I guess you are talking about the Bastos BMW 530i, Gerard? It’s a very deceptive car to watch, quiet and undramatic, but lap times are good!
It’s a fact that only enough parts were made originally to create 100 Cosworth GA engines, so I guess by now people are resorting to modern copies- probably better made!
Yes, Mike, this car has a "BASTO?" livery to comply with cigarettes regulation. Its a recreation of a "530 ius" homologated in Grp1. Philippe is probably using an homologated exhaust system, hence quietness. Yes, the LT are good bearing in mind he can't use slicks in this series.
His mechanic is very good, for instance one of the few in France able to make a rocket with a car using K-Jetronic system. He built a famous Scirocco Grp1, really fast.

Were the genuine GA crank case made in cast iron or aluminium? Anyway, few suppliers nowadays for this kind of wonder.