View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4076688)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Tyrrell.

But I thought it was indeed ballast in order to make sure they were not underweight at the end of the race.

I wouldn't have thought that lead in a foam tank would make much difference for the few minutes it would be in there after re-fuelling.

Whether Williams or others also employed the same ideas at some point I have no idea.
I think in the era of DFV's v Turbos the FOCA (non manufacturer) teams saw the reduction of weight as to their only answer to turbo power.... Williams answer was water cooled brakes.... water injection to 'cool' the brakes. Basically they had a large water tank in the sidepod that injected water onto the brakes, The water dissipated very quickly, the tank emptied in a lap or two leaving the cars to run underweight for the race, covered by being allowed to refill 'cooling' fluids used. The water tanks were IIRC a decent size so the weight loss was noticeable. Williams came 1&2 in I think Brazil and were protested (by the FISA / manufacturer/turbo teams) on the water cooling 'scam' and DSQ'd.

Edit: Found an article confirming the above plus highlighting others doing similar (includes the Tyrrell one explained) Interesting read.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/ba...rules/4791237/

Last edited by E.B; 2 Oct 2021 at 17:07. Reason: Added link to article with additional info.