View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1526509)   #7
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's certainly a popular one, chunder, hence its 2nd place in the MotorSport list. I'm pretty sure most of the race was pretty ordinary, but those last three laps or so stick in people's minds as one of the iconic GP battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
How about the 1933 Monaco GP?- a race-long duel between Nuvolari and Varzi, two of the greatest drivers of the day. This race hardly ever gets mentioned because racing in those days didn't get the exposure it does now.
D-Type, you must be psychic! I emailed three GPs to MotorSport for the list, and that was my number two. It was one of the first great duels and it lasted the entire race. The fact that they were each driving the defining GP cars of the pre-Silver Arrows period (Alfa and Bugatti) should only add to its reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
1969 British GP (Silverstone) - Stewart & Rindt going hammer & tongs plus the 4 wheel drive cars acting as mobile chicanes!

Good call. I suspect that it might have made the list had the fight lasted to the very end. If it had, my money would have been on Stewart due to his racecraft and ability to plan (winning the '69 Italian GP was a good example), but of course we'll never know.