Thread: Cooper T53
View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2018, 00:56 (Ref:3835278)   #12
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
The Cooper T53 work was something I did long before OldRacingcars.com existed, when I was a registrar with the Cooper Car Club in the early 1980s. I put it up on the site when I first launched it, really just because I was low on content. I have tried to keep it up to date but it now needs serious work and I haven't found the time.
Couple of T53s going to auction in Aus later this month & you get a mention Allen:
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...1CYYJ8F0HFDDR/

The Cooper wears the chassis plate ‘F11/8/60’ today – one of the numbers allocated by Cooper for the works ‘lowline’ cars raced by Brabham and his Kiwi team-mate Bruce McLaren for the duration of the 1960 season – the highly respected website Oldracingcars.com run by Allen Brown points out that no history for either of these cars can be traced beyond 1960. Despite the best efforts of historians like Doug Nye and John Blanden, Cooper provenance is a veritable minefield and sorting out the individual racing histories of the works cars has proved extremely difficult due to the lack of record keeping, switching of ID plates and the rigours of racing. Presented in the Cooper works livery made famous by Brabham in winning the Formula One World Driver’s Championship in both 1959 and 1960, the ‘lowline’ has been on display at the Len Lukey Museum at Phillip Island in recent years and will need some recommissioning before it can be safely raced again. The Climax engine has been restamped with a 2.5-litre number FPF430-1142 (the capacity has not been verified), while the gearbox is a period-correct Cooper-Knight C5S unit. Documentation supplied with the car includes a Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) Certificate of Description dated 2015 along with a signed letter from Sir Jack Brabham O.B.E. regarding the importation and sale of the car dated March 13, 2002.