View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2007, 22:39 (Ref:1963962)   #9
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
A few things that spring to mind instantly are:

The frequent use of the safety car. Take into account the conditions today. Wet conditions make it completely impossible to predict where cars are likely to go if they come off. The likelyhood of an incident increases hugely in the wet, and once on wet grass, cars have a nasty habit of not slowing at all before the hit anything. Because of that, if there is something that needs attention, especially at a corner like Quarry, if you're putting people the wrong side of the armco, the race has to be neutralised.

As others have mentioned, the deployments might very well not have been for the incidents you saw.

It's fairly universally agreed that deploying the safety car means less races end in a red flag.

A waved yellow flag in one sector does not preclude the possibility of there being a need for a waved yellow in the next sector. And I might add that there is a significant section of the sector between Quarry and Esses, that is not visible from the quarry spectator area. It is quite common for a multi car incident at Quarry to deposit it's results strewn across Quarry and the next sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer
never in the 37 years of spectating at combe have i seen so much flapping done by an obsever usually unless the cars are in a direct line like the vx220 then they are always left and deemed out of the way
I haven't been marshalling as long as you have been a spectator. But in my experience of being an observer, compared to spectating, there is a world of difference between what you see from both perspectives. If you're the guy on the phone who gets the call wrong, you risk the lives of the guys working the incident. I would strongly endorse the comments other posters have made, asking you to try your hand at marshalling before making comments that can be very hurtful.