View Single Post
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3944482)   #547
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Just looking back at the picture posts , the brown 3000 Capri was driven by Nigel Barnett, he became famous on the 1998 Rally GB. On the Millbrook stage Nigel was competing on an historic rally prior to the main event. The imp he was driving thew lots of oil onto the stage. When the main event came though Tommi Makkinen in an Evo hit the oil & a concrete block burstig a tyre & doing damage to the back of the car. Makkinen continued on 3 wheels until stopped by the Police and retired. Makkinen was in contention to win the World Championship untill then. All Carlos Sainz had to do was finish in the top 4 to be champion, he retired on the last stage leaving Richard Burns to win & Makkinen to be World Champion.
I remember that happening. IIRC it more than burst the tyre, I think it may even have ripped the rear hub off too. I'm sure the BBC film crew actually had footage of him being stopped by the police!