Thread: SCCA Trans-Am
View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2353731)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz
I think it died more as a result of naming rights issues between SCCA, SCCA Pro and Paul Gentilozzi (OWRS/CCWS?). These things are crazy racecars. It may be a "you had to be there" thing, but they are incredible to watch. I was at an "AGT" race at Mosport in '06 where it was hailing during qualifying and watching those boys (admittedly amateurs for the most part) tiptoe around Quebec corner in those beasts was fantastic. They are quite the spectacle! I challenge you all to go watch a race, come back, and tell me that you don't think they are brilliant.

Chris
I've seen various iterations of Trans Am since the seventies. Yes, some incredible, and incredibly fast cars. That being said, the series may have had the final nail driven into the coffin by the factors that you mention, but they aren't the real reason. The bottom line is that the series ran out of funding sources. The factories lost interest, then the fans lost interest, TV went away and sponsors lost interest. Missteps along the way certainly accelerated that though.

There will be no factory involvement, name sponsors, name drivers... or much of anything.

Can-Am cars were brilliant, and GTP... but the bottom line is that they have been binned to Historic Racing, where Trans Am really belongs too.

Quote:
While present conditions might be a little hard, establishing the basis for this series may work well when things are a bit better. Personally, I say use a rules package similar to that when the series started in '66; a two-tiered system with a 3.5L & under and a 5.4L class. There are plenty of cars that fit that 3.5L engine base, and the 5.4L works with the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, since all have, or will have, engines that are available in or near that size.
The reason that Trans Am has been raised from the dead, is that people with existing cars, have some money and recreated the series. The rules will continue to be close to the old Trans Am, and SCCA GT-1. It is unlikely that there will be many, if any new bodied cars. This isn't a spectator sport, it is for the entrants, by the entrants.