Thread: GT Cup 2019
View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3929395)   #47
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Didn't the series get grids with about those numbers four or five years ago? I used to watch the TV broadcasts on Youtube for a few years right around the time they decided to let the GT3s in and they had some really healthy grids - and interesting cars (Ferrari Spider, anyone?) - back then.

Interestingly, we have two similar series here in Germany with DMV-GTC and Spezialtourenwagen-Trophy and both of them really have taken a hit in terms of entry numbers over the last few years as well, as did the similar Dutch Supercar Challenge. I'm beginning to wonder if interest in that level of racing is somewhat drying up these days, with old guys retiring and the new generation of well-heeled would-be gentleman racers spending there money outside motorsports?
The series has been hit and miss. Some years it gets high 20s to 30s every round although nowadays the series gets mid 20s on the entry list although normally there is lots of withdrawals.9 for Donington this weekend.

GT Cup has bounced back this year with some nice cars, just look at the entry lists I've posted and the TV highlights for evidence. Lots of ex works cars and pro teams. GT Cup is seen as quite a good ground to either learn the trade or for Gent drivers with pro drivers helping.

Really nice variety although the amount of classics is dwindling although its been great seeing the Porsche 935 winning . Its a amazing car and can beat modern GT3 cars. At Snetterton it had a battle with the Mosler which was great to see.

There is so many cars that are eligible that don't race or only race very few times a year.

I'll be doing a end year list of all the cars that have taken part.