Thread: Woolfe, John
View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:20 (Ref:469511)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was very sad when I saw on the news that John had been killed. My father was a good friend of his and I remember seeing John testing the unique Chevron B12 which was a B8 but with Repco V8 3 litre F1 engine. I was very young at the time but still remember this well. Apart from the mentioned cars he also raced a McLaren M6B Can Am car, Lola T70 MkIIIB and I think a GT40 at some point. Whenever he was entered in an F.Libre event in one of these cars he was the guy to beat. Most of his cars were blue but with two parallel yellow stripes running down the centreline.
I lived in Cambridge at the time but moved in the early 70s to the Cambs/Beds border area. Here I met Mike Treutlein who lived in the same village and he was John's mechanic on all of his cars and built the unique Chevron. I still see Mike regularly now as he bacame a good family friend. He received his BRDC membership due to his spannering efforts with John. He still goes to most Silverstone meetings and we always end up chatting about John. Mike's daughters both got the racing bug, Louise works for the Bugatti owners club, Jayne is one of the Rollcentre TVR GTO team members. Great that someone has posted an interested in a great racer of the 60s. I'll post some pics of John when I get a chance to dig them out.