View Single Post
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:03 (Ref:802754)   #2
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris etc

I suspected this one might start soon ??

Without any research at all, I guesstimate there may have been 7 TG280s made in 80 - perhaps 5 for works team, 4 used as F2, the final one as a test bed for the Hart F1 engine. Plus 2 for Docking Spitzley (DS) in 1980. Chris, when you refer to Spirit, do you mean DS, as the Wickham/Coppuck Spirit team didn't start until the winter of 81-82.

Works ran Henton & Warwick, all year, DS ran Huub originally, Stohr joining later. I think Colombo's Sanremo late season 80 car was ex-works. Possibly one other driver in one of the DS cars late on, only guessing on this.

In 81, most of the TG280s were sold on, Cramer/Crawford/Hopfer etc, Lola built, perhaps another 6 T850s. One to Sanremo for Pardini (Colombo ket his TG280), one Schnarwiler, possibly 3 for DS, (Acheson + Johnanson). IIRC DS used a 'TG280B' at some point in 81, maybe an ex-works 80 car, perhaps an updated T850.

For 82, a variety of these cars were used again, some to US for CanAm. The DS cars were, I think, re-christened 'Toleman DS1s', for Tassin, Rossi.

Any more info, I stress this is 'off the top of head' stuff !!