View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3865066)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
These new rules are worrying me a little.. so much so that I feel an approach is needed to the MUK / FIA.. I wonder what their position is regarding the discrimination toward 75% of the male population who have some form of colour blindness.. red / green being the most common..

I have been thinking a lot about this and the fact that legally the MUK must be prepared to make reasonable adjustments to counter discrimination....

I have always been OK differentiating primary Red and green and seeing flags but they are now saying that with the use of light boxes there is a need to pass a colour test and achieve a minimum score...

It strikes me that the MUK can make a very simple adjustment which in my mind won't cost any money to implement and will remove any issue with colour blind drivers completely...

We all know the flag signals (well most of us do so consider this....

Red. Is always held out (not waved) to indicate session stopped
Yellows are waved... Yellow lights Flashed.... But we can see yellow!!
Blues.. Flash (we have no issue with Blue)
Green is generally waved as a flag but left fixed illuminated as a light...

The solution is very simple... Just make the RED light a permanently immuminated light... All others Flash!!! That way us colour impaired folk will see either a green flashing light which we know is flashing so even if we think it is Red we know it is Green.. and when we see a Red fixed light which we might think is green, We will know it is Red...

No changes required to any flags, or light boxes!!

I wonder if the MUK / FIA have even considered this before again placing barriers in the way of Blokes who just want to go racing.. I say Blokes because genetically colour impairment affects 75% of men to a greater or lesser degree!!

This years medical remains a worry to me. !!
Wise words mate... We have race licence medicals at the Historic FF2000 AGM every year. A driver who passed last year failed this time, even though the criteria were the same. He now has to do the Motor Racing Medics lightbox test. He's been racing for many years and is the least likely guy to have a silly accident. I hope he passes (I'm pretty sure he will) but it might be something for Motorsport UK to look at if they really want motorsport to be more accessible.