Thread: Chevron B31
View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2848792)   #10
DougT
Rookie

DougT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Allen,

I am sure the provenance for my chassis is bulletproof.

To demonstrate this conclusively, I would need to bring a third party into this discussion. As it is a public discussion, I think I should gain his permission first but suffice to say that he has known this car throughout it's life....(!)

On the technical/physical side, there are many little details, especially with the DFV conversion that you would not know unless you had worked on the car, and the physical evidence is on the old tub. I can give you a little example; if you look at the 76 Zolder pictures (See RSC), there are water pipes mounted on the outside of the sills. The holes for the clips to mount the external pipes are in my old tub. OK this could be copied but there are many little details like this which all fit together.

Obviously I am pulling together as much history as I can because I think that my car may be the only Chevron to have run a DFV in period, which means that I can run it as a 2 litre or DFV. The B23 DFV appears to have been run out of period. Indeed the "B31-DFV" for Mauro Nesti in the 77 Targa Florio, which originally I thought might possibly have been my car on loan, actually turns out to more likely be a B23 DFV. The B36 DFV again appears to have run out of period.

Regarding Rolf's other Chevron, if you look at the results for the last 2 Interserie races for 78, both John Blanckley (not Blanckney as in my previous post - apologies I must have had a spelling crisis yesterday), and Rolf Gotz both finished in different Chevrons. So my conclusion is that Rolf had a B23 from 76 to 78. And the sale of my B31 took place in early 79.

I emailed Maxted Page a few days ago and given them my phone number if they want more info to verify my side of things, but not had a response yet. But I hope you are right in that they would want to get their information correct.