View Single Post
Old 23 May 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4110986)   #7
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little more info from Spa, having been at the Spring Classic this weekend.

The new grandstand above Raidillon is indeed impressive providing superb views across the the Bus Stop, exit of La Source, down through Eau Rouge and under your feet. However, for me it becomes almost like a cinema - lacking the involvement of the old endurance pits grandstand where your toes were literally just above the track if in row 1 ! PA is in place but was not switched on; toilets open and temporary bar, but no food. East Belgium Kart Club (iirc) hut there providing food has long gone ! A big screen truck was parked opposite but not seen working when we were there.

One obvious factor. Sitting in row one, the view of the track is behind the railings and that's before the snappers grab their standing spots on the rail. Think carefully before booking a seat in the first two or three rows. As a snapper, a lot of your shots will be from above.

One new grandstand (not open) has appeared opposite the endurance pits with obvious locations for more - reference to Belgian Grand Prix ticket website suggests what is to come. It's a long way back from the track. Perhaps even further than the stand at Hollywood at Donington !

There are now grandstands at Speakers Corner although the view can't be especially brilliant. You could walk round the outside of La Source last weekend but this may vary for the GP, of course.

We'd not been to the Spa Classic before, so I hadn't appreciated the car clubs involvement or the track lapping sessions that could be purchased between races on Saturday. At €43 for a three day entrance ticket and €8 per day to park, I'd regard it favourably against the Silverstone Classic if racing is your main reason for going.

Finally, having finally found some coffee late on Saturday in the Paddock cafe (took our own Sunday), we were above the grand prix pits for the Endurance Legends race into the dark. Oh, my ! 2 Panoz, 1 333SP, 1 550 Maranello, etc, etc. While field was a glorious sight and sound !

Quick advert; we will be updating the spectator photographers guide for Spa on pistonclick.com shortly, to include the new development.