View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3916526)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
the camo wrap makes no sense to me in most applications, but this one takes the cake.
I wouldn't consider it to be a 'camouflage' as such, but a combination of attention drawing and uglifying.

Roll a car out of a R&D facility and you are bound to get photographers attention; your car ends up in the press, giving you free publicity and (possibly) generating excitement about something new.
Cover up what is on the car with a messy design and when you are ready to reveal the product to the public, it will immediately look much more sophisticated and elegant than otherwise might be the case on a standard reveal.

With the case of a face lift, or minor cosmetic change, then a full wrap would negate the benefits. If most of the car design is unchanged, then your reveal will look too similar to what is already on the market. But by having select parts of the car covered up, attention is drawn to those elements in advance.

In the case of the Insignia, because the rear of the Estate has been covered, and the front was also wrapped on the Grand Sport (see below), then at the unveiling those in the know will focus on these areas.

I don't see it as an attempt to disguise what is being changed, but more an attempt to highlight what will be different.