View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2000, 00:48 (Ref:30602)   #7
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC,
Understand, what I'm saying, Sabatis is an insider, who would know more about the inner workings of the garage area, the deals, being made, just exactly what the scoop is more than an insider? As to smaller teams being pushed out, you could hardly call Sabatis' team small. It has been one of the best financed teams in the series, and Sabatis is one of the, if not the wealthest men in the garage area. He has ofter stated that if simply spending money was the key to victories, he would have several championships under his belt by now. Your talking about a guy that can go out and pay cash for a Rolls, a yachet (probally mispelled) or practically anything else he might wish to buy, on a whim, with his pocket change! Something you, nor I will never be able to boast, in all likelyhood. I'll take the word of an insider. To back it up, it has also come out in several interviews with Wells that he had been in negoations with Tide for up to two years prior to his announcement of their sponsorship agreement! A far different story than what he originally stated! I read these interviews on Jayski's several months ago. Yes, Wells seems humble in interviews, but all humans are capable of putting on different faces to suit any given situation, example, I'm in the Marine Corps, at one time I was a Drill Instructor. I am capable of putting on a display where you would think that I mad enough at you to rip your head off, and just as quickly can turn around and speak to anyone just as happily as if nothing ever happened. Its like turning on and off a light switch. All humans are capable of this. I also don't know why Sabatis would lie about what he says, first, he would have nothing to gain by it, plus, if the statements were untrue, he could be opening himself up to a whale of a lawsuit for slander! As rich as he is, he isn't going to give anyone a chance to sue him for slander, rich people know how to stay rich. Heeltoe6 is right, Ganassi is making a smart move. His statement about not hiring drivers, also extended to crew chiefs, and crew members as well. He said that he did not want to interfear with anybody on an established team that is running for points at the mid-season mark. This statement also made reference to Wells, who openly pursuited crew members from Elliot's team (Joe Garone) an the team from whoever was employing Doug Richart at the team. This was his way of saying to the NASCAR garage area that he would be far more professional, and ethical than Wells had been. I'm not saying all of this to argure with you, just pointing out some things about Sabatis. As to your statement that money is the reason for anybody not presently in NASCAR trying to get in, I couldn't agree with you more. However, I don't believe if the situation was reversed, and you could make more money in cart that you would see an exitous from the NASCAR ranks. The NASCAR regulars are in it for the money, yes, but they are also in it for the love of stock car racing as well. The statements that Sabatis made about what was done in those other series doesn't mean anything here, says nothing about mutual respect for anybodies team or driver, it simply means that to NASCAR teams, owners, and drivers, they don't care what you've done anywhere else, you haven't proven anything here in Winston Cup. Until you can beat then, consistantly, in the Winston Cup Series, you haven't proven anything. Its kind of like a place kicker showing up at a baseball team tryout. He has skills, but in baseball, place kicking skills are not in big demand, again, apples and oranges. Oh well, have a good evening.