View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3229593)   #4
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCYTravis View Post
The World Challenge has really had an up-and-down history... back in the early-mid 2000s, grids were oversubscribed, the racing was insanely good, every race had major TV coverage and it was the rare event that didn't end up with half a dozen cars coming back on tiltbed wreckers. At the time, it was just about the only American series doing standing starts, so there was a significant novelty factor as well.

When the economic crunch hit, grids faded, the SPEED contract went away and I think it came really, really close to dying out entirely. It's great to see the series starting to bounce back.
I agree with this 100%, I was a huge fan around the turn of the Millennium but lost interest. This year, with the Audis, Mercedes', and Black Swan I find myself interested again. Being the only home for GT3 cars to race in North America could prove a bit of a coup. Hopefully the series can pull through the latest funding controversy.