View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2020, 11:32 (Ref:3993969)   #307
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
What, precisely do you think ARG is?

Owned and funded by "business people"

If it quacks like a duck....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, I have to account for ARG when talking about TCR Australia.

Yes, well, there's three factors regarding TCR. There's the actual racing series, CAMS, and ARG. It's pretty close which is the weakest link between CAMS and ARG. But oddly considering CAMS is one of the factors, it may be ARG by a nose.

I can't account for any silliness from ARG (and CAMS). Had CAMS ever been a good motor racing body, ARG would've been superfluous to needs. They still are, but they've already entered the bed.

They've made some good moves, but most were a no brainer.

Lump onto the Shannons Nationals? No brainer. For 14 years, the SN were a stage for classes that typically fill a support for a feature class (which is typically touring cars).

Running a round at The Bathurst 6 Hour? No brainer. It complements the 6 Hour, and they give each other a boost in attention.

A spot on the GP supports? No brainer. Obviously not any class can get on at Albert Park, but a class of sufficient substance will. CAMS organise a meeting with the AGPC, show the merit of the class and talk to them nicely, TCR was always going to get in. I could've done it.

A designated feature event Bathurst? No Brainer. Bathurst is for ALL cars, not just 5 litre V8s. No doubt a TCR Bathurst won't be as big a deal as the 1000, but it will be a much bigger deal than another 5 litre event. It would've been completely irresponsible from all parties if TCR weren't given it.

The move to C7 is obviously a pat on the back to ARG, even if I think it's a bit premature. The inclusion of the Tasmanian circuits to counter the effects of the pandemic is impressive.

Aside from that, what you'd mostly see of TCR now I'm certain is what would've occurred anyway if CAMS were a good governing body. They could've started TCR 5 years ago, and it would've grown to what we see now or possibly better. And without the burden of having to need a commercial partner.

If TCR "fails", it'll be all down to the inadequacies of firstly ARG, then CAMS.