Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3614037)   #1443
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It worth mentioning that Formula One is in the midst of the sharpest decline in overtaking in the last thirty-five years.
That chart brings up more questions than it answers. Firstly, I am curious of the source (not doubting, but but am curious if more granular detail is available). I also am curious as to opinions as to both why the huge increase in 2010 and on why the decline after that peak. For example 2010 had a significant amount of change happening (a number of new teams, no refueling) and in the end was a relatively tight championship. Was the passing for position spread out within the field or grouped somewhere (i.e. mid and backfield with no real impacts on race results)? Then 2011 and beyond we have increasing dominance of teams like RBR and then Mercedes as well as teams exiting the sport. How does that play into the decline? Have the teams been settling into place since 2010 and converging on similar solutions with all cars having "roughly" the same strengths and weaknesses and those that have an advantage maintaining consistent performance gaps race after race, year after year?

Richard