View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3785224)   #3536
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Grant, it may be sensible to check if there are any special battery disconnection/reconnection procedures to be carried out before you start with the spanners! Due to the high number of 'electronic devices' in the modern motor-car, if you don't follow these things to the letter, you can create even more problems!
We fitted a replacement battery to an Aston Martin DB earlier in the year, the battery is below the rear seat. Obviously, to do this we worked with the drivers door open. job done we sent the (happy) customer on his way. 10 minutes later he returned, to tell us that nothing electrical on the drivers door was working, electric windows, mirror adjust etc. After a lot of head scratching and checking with the magic diagnostic machine we decided to drop the roof, and reconnect the battery when the doors were closed. Thankfully this did the trick, so presumably if the door is open when the battery is connected, the clever car assumes that the door isn't there so refuses to work anything from it!
Good grief. Too clever for words! No wonder cars as written off for what seems to be minor damage these days.

Sounds like it was fortunate that it was a soft top. The next step would have been to chop the roof off, Fire Service style!

One more thing to bear in mind and I am very wary of disconnecting batteries but, apparently, it's quite normal approach with BMWs although not always successful.

I suspect it may have a tendency to lose personalised settings .... but the car is for sale anyway so that is not a concern.

Right, off to see what I can discover if I can find away to get across to the other side of the M1!