View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3803809)   #228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why the barge board area?
I have read an article by Paddy Lowe and also mention by others who should know, that bargeboards is a key area of development and potential gain this year.
Quote:
For Lowe, whose FW41 design was revealed in computer images last week, the potential for downforce gains in this area of the car is immense, especially as other areas where performance was coming from have become increasingly limited.

"As we know in the 2017 regulations, there was new volume and new freedom in the bargeboard area," he said.

"We saw through 2017 an explosion of new devices in that space, and that process has continued yet further.

"When you see our car close up, you will see that we have developed the car in that area even more.

"I will be expecting to see the same on our competition – because it is the biggest area of opportunity still not fully exploited with these regulations that came in last year."

The importance of downforce-generating devices in front of the sidepods is being further ramped up this year, because aero benefits of the T-wing, and potential for exhaust blowing of the monkey seat, have now gone.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-lowe-1006760/

For those (I was one) who were not aware what the monkey seat is on an F1 car, it is a "small wing underneath the main rear wing of the car that uses a loophole in the bodywork regulations to generate a small amount of additional downforce." That loophole has been closed for 2018.