View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2022, 12:27 (Ref:4093265)   #3
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion it's simple. If the BTCC's been clinging to this ruleset for over a decade now, it's an obvious indication that NGTC has worked. Despite motorsport's road becoming quite twisty in the last few years, BTCC didn't need to seek desperate measures to make itself attractive/relevant etc. So it is a success.

Does it mean NGTC is ideal? No, it is not. But what can be? I wish we'd seen proper factory teams, cars being constantly up-to-date, sounding better, looking a bit better (they're not ugly but for example S2000 cars were nicer looking) and who knows what else.

But as it is, I believe NGTC is very successful and I'm happy BTCC is going their own way without adopting other championships' rulesets. It's one of the core parts of it. If Gow adopted TCR rules for example, BTCC would lose most of its identity, having become just another regional championship. Okay, BTCC is a national championship and the following from the rest of Europe let alone world is probably quite modest but at least it has their own identity. I don't have to choose between WTCR, TCR Europe and BTCC - I'll always choose the latter despite the former being 'world' and 'European' championships. But for me they're not as attractive. NGTC isn't probably the main reason for this but it's part of what makes BTCC the BTCC.