Thread: New F1 Logo
View Single Post
Old 28 Nov 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3783783)   #39
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well well, haven't popped in here for years, but figured "what the hell, let's see what the 10/10ths anoraks are thinking" about the new logo.....
(and I say "anoraks" real fondness thinking back to the years coming here so long ago now)

so from someone with a visual work background, I really have to say after looking at it a few times again since the first time on Sunday, and having a fresh comparing session with the old one------- I like it.

the previous one has been looking "dated" to me for a long time, the "F" and the "speed swoosh" of the "1" both have a 80's 90's "look" to them (go figure, that's when they are from)

I reckon for at least 10 years now, whenever I see the logo come on before races, my quick reaction in my head is "that logo looks stale"

the new one certainly has its origins in the swoopy mockup car designs tossed around now for a few years of possible future Indycar and F1 cars (well, lets just say "open cars")

and it is this "swoop" that for me makes it work,
it gives a feeling of what may come car design wise,
it makes sense to have a new look in any case, post Mr E (which I agree that the old logo to me is clearly connected to "Mr E")

and hey, its just a logo, but its kinda neat.

(and yes, someone made a shedload of money proposing and designing this, but then Mr Tilke has been making multiple shedloads of money due to having the right friend (s) and that has affected our sport waaaaaaaaaaaay more than a logo.

and that's not even touching on the whole "set up a race and Tilke track to "whoever has a big fracking shedload of money, no history of motorsport and most likely a pretty poopy political and human rights record, to say the least" (thankyou Mr E......)

hello to anyone from back in the day who recognizes my username.
cheers