View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2002, 20:27 (Ref:469990)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paulzinho - yes they were great times but there was a downside too. We tend to look back thru' rose tinted glasses, but some things have improved greatly as they should. When it was wet it was just as muddy as Silv was in 2000 as there were no proper tarmac footpaths. Anyone remember the old Silverstone seats in the stands? It was a 'sack cloth' type material suspended between scaffolding poles. When the person next to you stood up, you sank. When they sat down again you took off! The stand roof always leaked too. The toilets are far better now despite a few gripes still.
The racing was sometimes processional like now and the attrition rate was often terrible but there were some cracking races too particularly below F1. For me, the cars were just so much nicer to look at and you could get so close! The variety was great too. I remember an International Trophy race at Silverstone in the early 70s. The F1/F5000 race with great sounds and top drivers of the day supported by the British F3 Championship ( 75 cars - 2 heats and a final!), the RAC British Saloon car Championship, a 2 litre Group 5 sportscar race, Formula Atlantic, historics and a stand alone F5000 race - all at the same meeting!
For this reason, the golden age of racing for me personally was the mid 60s to late 70s - the period I grew up in and fell in love with the sport.