View Single Post
Old 29 Dec 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2605861)   #41
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Perhaps throwing away the idea of current valve design and architecture has merit and instead replaced with a rotating disk with ports on the disk face, all rotating in time wth the exhaust cycles, thus presented a cooled area to the combustion exhaust cycle, which then rotates away to have temperature moderated while the next phase of the disk endures the cycle. This... while picking up drag from the rotating disk and the bearings and the drive of same, would realize at the same time a saving of the loss of power to the valve springs (ignoring the pneumatic systems in use in F1 which I know work around this and also work around problems with mechanical spring oscilation at high operational frequency-and of course the remainder of the Christmas beer, which is having the effect of limiting my thought processes on that matter, thus leading to me responding in the first place! )

robert

How about resurrecting the sleeve valve, if you are not familiar with it there is a good article on Wikipedia.