View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3797415)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think if the women involved enjoy it and aren’t being coerced into it, I don’t personally see the problem. It’s a modelling job at the end of the day, are they going to ban modelling now as a “profession”?
ehhhhhh, it's not strictly modelling though. promotional work maybe. it does need thinking about.

the issue is that whilst they're making money (get it, girls), and by all accounts having a great day, they're also validating the act of using women as decoration. so yeah, from their point of view it's fine but from the outside? it's saying "go ahead guys, that's all i'm here for - leering at and giggling at your crap chatup lines, lewd remarks and dad jokes".

i have a feeling this is going to end up being like the wec was - the *series* won't be hiring any grid girls, but they could easily tell the teams they need to provide someone to hold the grid board.

the interesting thing for me is that if we elevate men to do the same kind of job as grid girls it generally just looks a bit desperate and awkward. but if we say that we only expect women to do the promotional work that men currently do, it looks very different. i was thinking about that in general terms earlier as well - society and the media kicks off a bit when women start acting like men (see: the ladette culture of the 90s), but now we're expecting men to behave how we see women as doing, eg with a bit of decorum around the opposite sex, there's uproar.

put your impartial hat on and ponder that next time you're waiting for a kettle to boil. it's quite an interesting rabbit hole to disappear down. and totally off-topic