View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1450454)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Agreed i don't doubt any of them deserve their laurels, but using our understanding of the sport, and a bit of license it's fascinating to assess how things might have been different....

I.E, If Reutemann had been bit more consistent in '81 and not had that dreadful last race and sewed up the crown - would he have carried on for a few more years against the newer guys of the mid 80's?

If Mansell hadn't had so much unreliability how many titles would he have won ( '86, '90 and even '91?) to add to the dominant '92 season and how would this have impacted on the number that both Prost and Senna ended up with - furthermore how many would Schuey be on now if Senna had been able to see though that period of '94-97 when the Williams was the best car in the field?

Then there's the hypothetical question about Gilles - surely he'd have taken the '82 and maybe '83 crowns? I reckon that the '83 Ferrari would have been right on par with Renault and Brabham if he (and Pironi) had been driving it, no disrespect to Rene and Patrick but they were never consistently ' on it. And then Alboreto did a cracking job in '84 but the Ferrari dramatically fell off the pace - would a more aggressive driver like Gilles had kept it on par with Prost's Mclaren?

Surely there's some top debate to be had here people!