Old 2 Nov 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1450747)   #10
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Gilles was not really 1982 title favourite when Zolder happened, but 1983 could have been his year, as Ferrari did win the Constructors' title with a lineup that was thoeretically only moderately good, and 1985 seems quite possible as well - the team may not have faded away with Gilles helping out on the development side, but it's purely theoretical. If Scheckter had been faster in 1980, he may not have retired, so Pironi may not have joined the team, so Gilles would not have pushed so hard at Zolder.......
I don't agree. Pironi only lost the championship because of his accident in German GP, so with a car as good as Ferrai 126 C2 (By Harvey Postlethwaite), which also won the constructor's championship that year, Gilles was really likely to have won the DC.

The fact is that Gilles didn't belong at that Formula 1 era. He should have been born 20 or 25 years ago, when the driver was the absolute master of the race instead of the car. Nevertheless, I think he should have won the 1979 championship when he "let" Jody Schecter win it because Jody was named first driver (same thing Gilles expexted from D. Pironi in Imola in 82 but never received it...), and the 1982 championship if...

But as Murray said once, 'if' is a reversed 'F1', so Gilles is just a crownless champion in my heart. Looking forward to watching the movie for him...