View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1709313)   #126
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I REALLY hope we're using AF's, Jab.

Pirenzo, I don't care for a lot of the modern autodromes, like a lot of people. However, I know my assertions about Monza are quite accurate. In addition, there is a maximum allowed apex speed in the FIA rules for decreasing radius corners. I will double check, but it is either 125 or 75km/h (78 or 47mph).

I also know that F1 cars could use some work in order to deal with high speed, high downforce corners, and to allow more chances for overtaking. That's really their problem. In designing a track, I do look at having clear overtaking opportunities. Then again, I don't have a one track mind about it. I am even more concerned with creating a challenging/interesting circuit, both on paper and on the ground. As a designer, I should aim to create the greatest circuits I can, regardless of the more particular concerns of some sanctions. After all, the drivers and riders in those top series are just the people I have in mind. Design a great circuit, and leave out the acres of tarmac run-off. These guys and gals are the best in the sport. The venues they race on should challenge their abilities. I don't envision "amateur" tracks. Amateurs can race on whatever tracks they see fit, but they should be challenged as well. And if you're an amateur, you shouldn't be pushing the limits to the same extent or in the same ways as professionals, obviously. Creating some level of complacency in the upper ranks is irresponsible and dangerous, but creating it with amateurs, some of whom may make it up the ladder, is even worse (and even scarier).